Dr Oliver Oxtoby is a senior researcher at the CSIR Aeronautic Systems research group.
Research experience and interests:
Dr Oxtoby specialises in research into algorithm design for multiphysics and discontinuous computational mechanics problems. His expertise are numerical methods in Computational Fluid Dynamics, specifically multiphase flow modelling and fluid-structure interaction.
Dr Oxtoby has six years experience in algorithm development and coding of numerical algorithms for solving industrial problems in computational mechanics. He is the co-author of six journal publications in the field as well.
BSc with distinction in Applied Mathematics and Physics (University of Cape Town, 2002)
BSc (Hons) in Applied Mathematics, first class (University of Cape Town, 2003)
PhD in Applied Mathematics (University of Cape Town, 2007)
Awards and achievements:
National Research Foundation Prestigious Scholarship (2004)
University of Cape Town Research Associateship (2005)
Essential Science Indicators “New Hot Paper” (2006)
CSIR R&D Excellence Award (2009)
CSIR Emerging Researcher Award (2012)
- O.F. Oxtoby and A.G. Malan, “A matrix-free, implicit, incompressible fractional-step algorithm for fluid–structure interaction applications”. Journal of Computational Physics 231 (2012) 5389–5405. http://hdl.handle.net/10204/5915
- A.G. Malan and O.F. Oxtoby, “An accelerated, fully-coupled, parallel 3D hybrid finite-volume fluid–structure interaction scheme”. Computer Methods in Applied Mechanics and Engineering 253 (2013) 426–438. http://hdl.handle.net/10204/6351
- J.A. Heyns, A.G. Malan, T. Harms and O.F. Oxtoby, “Development of a compressive surface capturing formulation for modelling free-surface flow using the volume-of-fluid approach”. International Journal for Numerical Methods in Fluids 71 (2013) 788–804. http://hdl.handle.net/10204/6636
- J.A. Heyns, A.G. Malan, T. Harms and O.F. Oxtoby, “A weakly compressible free-surface flow solver for liquid-gas systems using the volume-of-fluid approach”. Journal of Computational Physics 240 (2013) 145–157. http://hdl.handle.net/10204/6617
- L. Smith, O.F. Oxtoby, A.G. Malan and J.P. Meyer, “An interactive boundary layer modeling methodology for aerodynamic flows”. International Journal for Numerical Methods in Heat and Fluid Flow 23 (2013) 1373–1392. http://hdl.handle.net/10204/7163
- R. Suliman, O.F. Oxtoby, A.G. Malan and S. Kok, “A novel finite volume method to model linear elastic structures”. Applied Mathematical Modelling 38 (2014) 2265–2279. http://hdl.handle.net/10204/7437