Dr Johan Heyns is a senior researcher at the CSIR Aeronatic Systems research group.
Research experience and interests:
Dr Heyns specialises in numerical flow modelling and simulation of aerospace related projects using the OpenFOAM CFD toolset is. Main areas of interest include:
– Liquid fuel sloshing (Multiphase flow)
– External aerodynamics (Sub-, trans- and supersonic flow)
Dr Heyns has been involved in the development of specialised Computational Fluid Dynamics (CFD) solvers at the CSIR for the past six years.
PhD, Mechanical Engineering (University of Stellenbosch)
MSc, Mechanical Engineering (University of Stellenbosch)
BEng, Mechanical (University of Pretoria)
- A weakly compressible free-surface flow solver for liquid-gas systems using the volume-of-fluid approach, J.A. Heyns, A.G.Malan, T. Harms and O.F. Oxtoby. Journal of Computational Physics (2013)
- Development of a compressive surface capturing formulation for modelling free-surface flow using the volume-of-fluid approach. J.A. Heyns, A.G. Malan, T. Harms and O.F. Oxtoby, International Journal for Numerical Methods in Fluids (2012)
- Experimental investigation into the thermal-flow performance characteristics of an evaporative cooler, J.A. Heyns and D.G. Kröger, Applied Thermal Engineering (2009)
- Performance characteristics of an air-cooled steam condenser with hybrid dephlegmator, J.A. Heyns and D.G. Kröger, R&D Journal (2012)
- Modelling surface tension dominated flows using the VOF approach, J.A. Heyns and O.F. Oxtoby, 6th European Conference on Computational Fluid Mechanics, Barcelona, Spain, 20-25 July 2014
- Modelling high-speed flow using a matrix-free coupled solver, J.A. Heyns, O.F. Oxtoby and A. Steenkamp, 9th International OpenFOAM Workshop, Zagreb, Croatia, 23-26 June 2014
- Modelling dynamic liquid-gas systems: Extensions to the volume-of-fluid solver, J.A. Heyns, O.F. Oxtoby and R. Suliman, 8th International OpenFOAM Workshop, Jeju, Korea, 11-14 June 2013
- Weakly compressible formulation for modeling liquid-gas sloshing, J.A. Heyns, O.F. Oxtoby and A.G. Malan, 6th European Congress on Computational Methods in Applied Sciences and Engineering, Vienna, Austria, 10-14 September 2012
- Extension of liquid-gas free-surface modelling using the VOF approach. J.A. Heyns, O.F. Oxtoby and R Suliman, 8th South African Conference on Computational Mechanics, Johannesburg, South Africa, 3-5 September 2012
- Free-surface modelling technology for compressible and violent flows. J.A. Heyns, T.M. Harms, and A.G. Malan, 41st AIAA Fluid Dynamics Conference and Exhibit, Honolulu, Hawaii, 27-30 June 2011.
- Free surface modelling technology for compressible and violent flows. J. A. Heyns, A. G. Malan and O. F. Oxtoby. Second International African Conference on Computational Mechanics, Cape Town, South Africa, 5 to 8 January 2011.
- Thermal-flow performance characteristics of an air-cooled steam condenser incorporating a hybrid (dry/wet) dephlegmator, J.A. Heyns and D.G Kröger, 14th IAHR Cooling Tower and Air-cooled Heat Exchanger Conference, 2009